This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. – Galatians 5:16
God is so good to in making us new through Jesus and His work on the cross. The new creation that we become is truly His workmanship, by His grace alone, through faith in Jesus alone. “No one else can save us. Indeed, we can be saved only by the power of the one named Jesus and not by any other.” – Acts 4:12
We can trust Him because He loves us and He knows what He is doing.
So, we have some choices to make. There are some things we can do to cooperate with God’s work in us. Is your life an open book to Him? Or are you struggling? Do you want to become bigger than the problems you face? Or are you content to struggle under your own power, living life separate from God?
- Focus on one change at a time, and let that change be His choice. We will worry ourselves to death if we try to change everything at once. Don’t begin by thinking you will be able to change everything at the same time. Pray for God to reveal to you what He wants you to do. Not what you think but what He knows.
- Proverbs 17:24
- Make your changes one day at a time. Pray when you get up in the morning, “Lord, just for this day, change whatever it is you want to change.”
- Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. – Matthew 6:34
- Trust in His power, not your own power. Our willpower will never be enough. the truth is, if we could make this transformation on our own we would have done it already. But we can’t, so we won’t. The greatest comfort we have is knowing that His power raised Jesus from the grave in victory over sin and death. That same power can mend broken lives and heal broken relationships and it can change us.
- I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. – Philippians 4:13
- Think about what you want in your new life, not what you don’t want. If you fixate on the bad things of life, the those things keep their influence over you. If guilt and shame keep you focused on what you were in the past, you will stay in the past. But if you focus on what God has done and what He wants for your life, those things will guide you.
- Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things arepure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
- Focus on doing good not feeling good. Do the right thing, don’t worry about feeling the right thing. Do the right thing even though you don’t feel like doing it, because you know it’s the right thing to do. If you do the right thing, your feelings will eventually catch up. Then you know it’s becoming a habit and your mind is being renewed.
- Galatians 5:16 If you’re guided by the Spirit you will be in no danger of yielding to temptation.
- Focus on people who help you, not hinder you, in making these positive changes in your life. The Bible says, “Bad company corrupts good character.” But you must be in a group, in a relationship. Renewal always happens in relationship, never on your own. It’s why church is so important.
- 1 Corinthians 15:33, Proverbs 27:17